Sunday, September 6, 2009

Our Caterpillars

We woke up to an exciting morning with our new found pets. The chrysalis or pupa was a beautiful butterfly. Drew was so excited he wanted to keep the butterfly for a long time. Once it started to fly around we decided that it needed food. After a little coaxing, Drew decided the butterfly could be let go. It was amazing to see this butterfly, named Buttery, fly against the blue sky. There were some tears and a hug. Drew realized that we had more caterpillars. One of the caterpillars had climbed to the top and connected it's self to the house. We expected to have chrysalis in the morning. It was still hanging there. I thought it was dead. We proceeded to make breakfast. By the time breakfast was made it was in a cocoon or chrysalis.

Curiosity got the best of me and I found out the caterpillars names. They are a gulf fritilary. Apparently people plant the passion vine for the butterflies. I didn't know this when I planted it. I just like the beautiful flowers. Maybe some day I will have a passion vine that isn't a hybrid that will produce fruit. I love the yummy exotic fruit. I first tasted one in Hawaii on a hike. It was a wild vine.

We are having a great time with two other chrysalis that we found today and two new big caterpillars.

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Lacy said...

Catty's are great pets!
That's cute!
I've missed your posts.
How are you feeling?
I hope all is going well. I haven't heard very much about how your doing?
You need to post some belly pics!

Angela said...

How fun! I love it.